Work as a UK Healthcare Assistant from Zimbabwe

Work as a UK Healthcare Assistant from Zimbabwe

Are you residing in Harare, Bulawayo, or any other part of Zimbabwe and looking to work as a Healthcare Assistant in the UK?

Before you can begin working, Zimbabweans typically need to secure a work visa. This guide will walk you through the process of applying for a UK work visa, enabling you to relocate and join the UK healthcare sector.

What Qualifications are Required to Work as a UK Healthcare Assistant from Zimbabwe?

No specific qualifications are mandated for Healthcare Assistants in the UK’s health and social care sector. However, possessing any of the following qualifications may strengthen your application if you’re from Zimbabwe:

  • Care Certificate – enroll in our online Care Certificate course here
  • Diploma in Health and Social Care
  • GCSEs (grades 9-4 or A*-C)

Do Zimbabweans need experience to get a health and care worker visa in the UK?

While direct experience in the field isn’t explicitly stipulated as a requirement for the visa itself, most employers typically require relevant qualifications and possibly some level of professional experience to offer you a job. This means that while the visa process does not directly mandate experience, obtaining a qualifying job offer often does, which indirectly makes experience necessary.

Therefore, it’s essential for prospective applicants to first secure a job offer in the relevant sector, which likely requires having appropriate qualifications and possibly some professional experience. For specific and up-to-date requirements, it would be advisable to check the official UK government website or consult with an immigration expert.

Do I need a visa to work as a UK NHS Healthcare Assistant from Zimbabwe?

Yes, as a Zimbabwean wishing to work as a Healthcare Assistant in the UK, you must first obtain a Health and Care Worker visa, which falls under the skilled worker category and was previously known as the Tier 2 visa.

To qualify for this visa, you need a job offer that meets the following criteria:

  • The role must be suitable for the health and care worker visa category.
  • You must earn at least the minimum salary required.
  • Your prospective employer must be approved by the UK Home Office to sponsor and must hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship. The application for a sponsorship licence takes about eight weeks if needed.
  • You must receive an occupation code from your employer.
  • The job vacancy must be legitimate; applications for positions perceived as non-genuine will be denied.

Upon meeting these requirements, you will receive an electronic ‘Certificate of Sponsorship’ with details about your employer and your job.

How do I Apply for a UK Visa from Zimbabwe?

After obtaining your Certificate of Sponsorship, you have three months to apply for your Health and Care Worker visa from Zimbabwe. You will need to provide:

  • Your Certificate of Sponsorship number
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • Your passport or other valid official identification
  • Details of your job title, salary, and occupation code
  • Your employer’s name, contact details, and sponsor licence number

Your visa will be valid for up to five years, after which you may renew it or apply for a different visa if you change employers.

What are the English language requirements for a Healthcare Assistant from Zimbabwe?

Applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency at the B1 level or higher on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Acceptable proof includes:

  • Being a national of a predominantly English-speaking country
  • Passing a Secure English Language Test (SELT)
  • Passing English language tests at GCSE, A Level, or Scottish Higher
  • Holding a degree taught in English
  • Providing proof of English proficiency in a previous visa application

What is the Cost of a Health and Care Worker Visa?

For Zimbabweans, the visa fees are £247 for stays up to three years and £479 for longer than three years. Additionally, applicants must show they have at least £1270 in their bank account for 28 days prior to applying, to cover the first month’s living expenses in the UK. This requirement can be waived if the employer indicates on the Certificate of Sponsorship that they will cover these costs.

Additional Documentation for Zimbabwean Health and Care Workers

Your visa application might also need to include:

  • Bank statements
  • Criminal record certificates from any countries you’ve lived in
  • A negative tuberculosis test result

More details on applying for a UK Health and Care Worker Visa can be found on the UK Government website. Due to the complexity of the visa application process, seeking assistance from a skilled visa processing consultant is recommended to avoid mistakes and delays.

More Articles

Shopping Cart